Infidelity is a prevalent cause of relationship breakdowns, and can have a profound impact on everyone involved.
If you’ve been cheated on and broken up, infidelity counseling can help you to overcome the emotional trauma you’ve been through. And if you and your partner are willing to work on your relationship, infidelity counseling can help you understand the underlying causes of infidelity, cope with the emotional turmoil, and learn to communicate in a more constructive way.
In this article, we have discussed various options for finding an infidelity counselor, both locally and online. We’ve also provided an overview of how infidelity counseling is typically conducted.
Want to skip right to the suggestions for infidelity therapists? Here are our 7 recommended therapy solutions:
- Couples Therapy Inc.
- Family Marriage Counseling Directory
Infidelity Counseling Near Me
In this part of the article, we’ve looked at online and in-person options for infidelity counseling.
|Quick match with the right therapist for you
|$65 to $90 per week (billed every 4 weeks)
|Finding and contacting the right counselor for you
|Online and in-person therapy
|Varies depending on the counselor fee
|Finding licensed and experienced therapists with a Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) approach
|$40/week to $88/week (including our 20% discount first month)
|Individual relationship counseling
|$49.50 to $73.75 per week (billed monthly)
|Relationship counseling, marriage counseling, premarital counseling
|Varies according to insurance coverage or self-pay options
|Couples Therapy Inc.
|Intensive marriage counseling retreats, couples sex retreats, premarital counseling, affair recovery, discernment counseling, couples coaching.
|Online and in-person therapy across the US States including Puerto Rico. Also Germany, Great Britain, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, and Singapore.
|Varies depending on the type of therapy, the counselor fee, and the payment method.
|Family Marriage Counseling Directory
|Locating the right couples counselor for you and your partner.
|Online and in-person therapy in the U.S. and Canada.
|Varies depending on the counselor fee.
Tailored for individuals and couples navigating relationship or marital issues – ReGain is your online relationship therapy solution. Starting at $65/week, you can schedule one weekly live session and message your therapist anytime. Start your path to healthier connections with ReGain – fill out their online assessment form.
- Good for: Quick match with the right therapist for you.
- Location: Online therapy.
- Pricing: $65 to $90 per week (billed every 4 weeks).
- Features: iOS and Android app available, message your therapist anytime, live sessions are scheduled weekly and done via live chat, phone, or video call.
ReGain is an online therapy platform that focuses on providing relationship counseling. The site only employs licensed therapists with a minimum of three years and one thousand hours of clinical experience in couples counseling.
- Good for: Finding and contacting the right counselor for you.
- Location: Online and in-person therapy.
- Pricing: Varies depending on the counselor fee.
- Features: Filter your search, find accessible and effective online and in-person therapy, find guides on different types of therapy.
Find-a-therapist.com is a platform designed to help individuals find the support they need, including infidelity counseling. The platform features licensed therapists like Marie Cordray, Tami Hubbard, and Bahadir Bozoglan, providing online therapy based on individual needs.
Discover transformative online therapy with Online-therapy.com. Through cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), Online-therapy.com offers individual and couples support starting at $45/week. Engage in sessions via video, voice, or text for maximum flexibility. Fill out their online questionnaire to get started.
- Good for: Finding licensed and experienced therapists with a Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) approach.
- Location: Online therapy.
- Pricing: $40/week to $88/week (including our 20% discount first month).
- Features: Unlimited messaging with your therapist, including a daily journal and activity plan, yoga and meditation videos, and tests to see your progress.
Online-therapy.com integrates a variety of tools and resources to deal with infidelity, including worksheets and live sessions, enabling clients to work on their thoughts, emotions, and goals while receiving expert guidance from licensed therapists.
Embark on a journey of mental wellness with Calmerry. With diverse subscription options, starting at just $50, Calmerry makes prioritizing your mental health simple and accessible. You can message your therapist any day or schedule a live therapy session from the comfort of your home from any device.
- Good for: Individual relationship counseling.
- Location: Online therapy.
- Pricing: $49.50 to $73.75 per week (billed monthly).
- Features: Message to your counselor anytime, text therapy and video therapy according to the plan you choose, free counselor switching.
Calmerry features experienced licensed professionals, including marriage and family therapists, mental health counselors, and social workers, specializing in addressing relationship issues, such as infidelity, conflict resolution, and communication improvement.
Tailored to individuals, couples, teens, and offering psychiatry services, Talkspace plans kick off at a wallet-friendly $69 per week. What’s more, many health insurances also cover their services, enhancing accessibility and affordability. Complete a questionnaire and get matched with the right therapist for you.
- Good for: Relationship counseling, marriage counseling, premarital counseling.
- Location: Online therapy.
- Pricing: Varies according to insurance coverage or self-pay options.
- Features: Accepts insurance, pick your therapist from a list of recommendations, live video sessions and unlimited messaging with your therapist.
TalkSpace is an online therapy platform offering mental health services, including couples therapy and relationship issues like infidelity. It provides a convenient and accessible way for individuals and couples to engage in therapy from their own space through digital communication.
6. Couples Therapy Inc.
- Good for: Intensive marriage counseling retreats, couples sex retreats, premarital counseling, affair recovery, discernment counseling, couples coaching.
- Location: Online and in-person therapy across the US States including Puerto Rico. Also Germany, Great Britain, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, and Singapore.
- Pricing: Varies depending on the type of therapy, the counselor fee, and the payment method.
- Features: Offers weekend couples therapy retreats, international coverage, evidence-based couples therapy.
Couples Therapy Inc. specializes in providing science-based counseling for relationship issues, including infidelity, through various modalities, including online therapy, in-person therapy, and weekend couples therapy retreats for those interested.
7. Family Marriage Counseling Directory
- Good for: Locating the right couples counselor for you and your partner.
- Location: Online and in-person therapy in the U.S. and Canada.
- Pricing: Varies depending on the counselor fee.
- Features: Therapists directory, can be utilized free of charge, contact therapists directly via phone or email.
The Family and Marriage Counseling Directory is an online platform that allows individuals to find couples counseling providers. The directory includes a brief statement from the counselor on their profile, outlining their areas of expertise, and the issues they help with. In this section, you can look for counselors who specialize in helping people to overcome the emotional trauma of infidelity.
What Is Infidelity Counseling?
Infidelity counseling is a type of therapy that aims to help individuals and couples who have experienced infidelity – the act of being unfaithful in a relationship.
This type of counseling can address a wide range of issues related to adultery, such as feelings of betrayal, trust issues, and communication problems.
Relationship counseling is not just for couples – it can also help individuals after breaking up as well, allowing them to process what happened. In this case, the goal of infidelity counseling is to help people work through the emotional turmoil caused by infidelity.
This type of therapy can also help couples to identify the underlying issues that led to the infidelity and learn how to address them, for partners looking to mend their relationship and regain trust in one another.
Who Are Infidelity Counselors?
Infidelity counselors are mental health professionals who specialize in helping individuals and couples navigate the complex and often difficult emotions and issues that can arise from adultery in a relationship.
They may work with both the person who has been unfaithful, as well as the person who has been betrayed, to help them understand the underlying causes of the infidelity, and to develop coping strategies for dealing with the aftermath of the betrayal.
Education and Licensing
In order to become infidelity counselors, individuals have to obtain certain education and licensing to practice in their state or province.
If you’re searching for a relationship counselor to help overcome infidelity, the following are some of the relevant licenses to look for.
- LMFT (Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist) – professional licensure for therapists who have completed a graduate degree in counseling or a related field, and have passed a state licensing exam.
- LCSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker) – professional licensure for social workers who have completed a graduate degree in social work, and have passed a state licensing exam.
- LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor) – professional licensure for counselors who have completed a graduate degree in counseling or a related field, and have passed a state licensing exam.
Approaches Used During Infidelity Counseling
Infidelity is a complex issue that often requires both partners to attend therapy, unless you’re just looking for individual help after being cheated on.
In this part of the article, we’ve looked at the different approaches used by counselors during infidelity counseling.
Infidelity counselors often work with individuals to help them overcome the trauma of the breakup or divorce caused by adultery.
Individual infidelity counseling can provide a safe and supportive environment for you to process your emotions and thoughts, and help you move on from what happened.
The therapist can also help the individual to understand and cope with feelings of betrayal, anger, guilt, and shame that may arise. Additionally, the therapist can provide guidance and support in developing healthy coping mechanisms and ways of dealing with the emotional fallout of infidelity.
Furthermore, if you’re not certain about the future of the relationship, the therapist can help you decide whether to stay and work on the relationship or move on.
If you and your partner decide to stay together, the therapist will then shift the focus to fixing the relationship, which would then lead to couples counseling.
During couples counseling for infidelity, the therapist helps the couple work through different issues, such as:
- Identifying and addressing the underlying causes of the infidelity.
- Understanding the events and circumstances leading up to the affair.
- Assessing the impact of the infidelity on both partners’ lives.
- Investigating the breakdown in communication that may have occurred in the relationship.
- Recognizing the damage that the affair has caused to the relationship.
- Working towards rebuilding trust and respect in the relationship.
- Determining what steps are necessary for the relationship to recover and improve.
During couples therapy, infidelity therapists work with both partners to strengthen the relationship by improving communication skills and conflict resolution abilities.
They also assist the partners to re-establish trust and respect in the relationship, and help them to remember why they fell in love in the first place.
The ultimate goal of couples therapy is to help the couple to recommit to the relationship, and to reduce the likelihood of further infidelity occurring.
When children are involved, an infidelity counselor may work with the couple to ensure that the children are not negatively affected by the consequences of infidelity or by the increased conflicts between the parents.
The therapist might help children make sense of their parents’ emotions and behavior, re-establish feelings of trust and security, help parents better communicate their situation to their child, and help children process the emotions they might be experiencing as a result of their parents’ conflict.
If it comes to a breakup or divorce, infidelity counseling can help partners figure out what to do next. For instance, if there are children involved, the therapist can help the couple to come up with a plan that allows them to co-parent effectively and minimize the impact of the affair on the children.
Pros and Cons of Online Infidelity Counseling
This section delves into the nuanced realm of online infidelity counseling, weighing the pros and cons that come with seeking therapeutic intervention in the digital space.
|Online infidelity counseling offers the convenience of accessing therapy from the comfort of your own space, eliminating the need for travel.
|Online sessions may lack some non-verbal cues, potentially impacting the depth of communication between the therapist and the individuals involved.
|Online sessions provide a level of privacy that may be appealing to individuals seeking counseling for issues related to infidelity.
|Technical glitches or internet connectivity problems can disrupt sessions, leading to potential frustration or hindrance in the counseling process.
|Online platforms may provide a broader selection of therapists, allowing individuals to choose a professional who specializes in infidelity issues.
|Some individuals may miss the in-person connection and therapeutic presence that traditional counseling offers.
Infidelity can be a devastating experience, but it does not have to be a source of long-term trauma.
If you have been cheated on, infidelity counseling can be an effective starting point for healing and recovery. And if you and your partner are willing to give things a second chance, counseling can be the platform you need to get your relationship back on the right track.
If you are uncertain about how to find the right infidelity counselor, or have any additional questions, feel free to contact us and we’ll get back to you.