Child abuse is a serious and growing problem, especially in difficult economic times. It seems all of the frustrations get taken out on the kids.
Here is a list of 8 alternatives to lashing out at your child:
1. Make yourself stop for a moment before responding.
2. Take a few slow, deep breaths.
3. Count to 10 . . . or 20.
4. Send your child for a time out in another room.
5. Splash cool water on your face, sit down and remember to breathe again.
6. Phone a close friend or relative - someone who can give you support. Or, if you feel really out of control, call the National Child Abuse Hotline: 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453)
7. Write down or type up your thoughts.
8. Step out for fresh air or a quick walk(if your child is old enough to be alone or another adult is present.